Best way to approach text input

Ask for help and post bugs.

Best way to approach text input

Postby kokosnoot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:57 am

Hi,

I started a test today with the new 9.0 version, just to see how the API has changed, and which things work out of the box :). Before I had issues with some UI elements, but that seems to work quite well.

Unfortunately the input on textfields still seems to be problematic. When emulating with the mouse, some letters show up (like 'f') but other letters are not added to the text input (eg: 'a'). I was thinking this could maybe be due to the defined Unity inputs, but 's' does work (I thought WASD might not work for example). The input does seem to visually react on input from the broken keys, but they just do not show up.

So what do you think is the best way to make the user able to enter some information on the screen? Disable the UI checks on objects which are text input and/or build our own "on screen keyboard" in Unity (still connecting a external keyboard will give issues)?

Or is there another clever way?

Thanks in advance for some suggestions!
kokosnoot

Re: Best way to approach text input

Postby valyard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Hm... Are you saying that you have an UI Input which for some reason doesn't show some characters, is this correct?
Please check if you have StandaloneInputModule on your EventSystem and remove it if you do.
Also check that the font you are using for the Input field contains these characters.
valyard
Site Admin

Postby kokosnoot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

Hi valyard,

Apologies for the late reply. It seems indeed that removing the Standard Input Module makes the input field work well! I made a simple test scene with various controls and totally forgot to remove this.

However, I also tried adding a text input to some of the examples and in those the input did not change at all. (But that was just a minor observation)

Also, glad it does not seem to crash any more :-) :D
kokosnoot

Postby valyard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Some examples are set up not to raycast against UI in StandardLayer. To use Text Input you need check the UI checkboxes.
valyard
Site Admin

Postby fbontin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am

Please check if you have StandaloneInputModule on your EventSystem and remove it if you do.

Thank you for mentioning this. I had an InputField which could be "focused" with a mouse but not using touch. I Removed the StandaloneInputModule and now it works great.
fbontin

Return to Help and Bugs